From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:13:35 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Mig
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Sat, 26 May 2001 11:19:31 +0200
<9ensf9$pso$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Ayende Rahien wrote:
>

>> "Mig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:9emfnv$2gb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>>> Win 98SE is without any doubt the best Windows end-user OS outt here
>>> (better than ME) and does not screw up the same way win95 did (or at
>>> least - its not so frequent at that)
>>
>> I'll agree about 98SE being the best 9x, but that doesn't mean much.
>> Give me Win2k any time of day.
>
>Not necessarly in my line of work. I've started to see strange W2K errors
>that are very difficult to solve. This means that W2K has reached "critical
>mass" here.

Or maybe "critical mess" would be a more appropriate phrasing... :-)

>In fact Wind9x errors are much easyer to fix - simply due to the fact that
>they are known.

Admittedly, it has been out longer.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random known bug here
                    Hi.  What's your sign?  Mine's "Out To Lunch".

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 18:17:13 -0400

Grzegorz Borek wrote:

> > > Try very hard, and think this over:
> > > Who gave gay people their desires?
> >
> > Would my desire for millions of dollar justify robbing banks
> >
> > A) yes
> > B) NO
>
> 1. This isn't a good comparison because robbing banks is malevolent to
> the other _not consenting_ for that members of society. Homosexualism
> isn't, so this does not apply.

Ask the people who pick up Hepatitis from food contaminated
by gay restaurant workers.

> 2. There is no desire to rob banks - stealing is a wayof expressing a
> desire to gain money. Desire to gain money is not negative - it is a
> base of capitalism. What makes robbing banks negative is that it is
> _not_ the only way of fullifiling the desire (you can work). So what
> you are overcoming by not robbing the bank is laziness of taking an
> easy way.
> 3. Gay people on the other hand have natural (god given?) desire of
> sexual pleasure normal to everyone (that's why celibate is such a big
> sacrifice), but with only one way to fulfill it - having sex with a
> man. Thats why this desire is a justification.
> 4. I assume that by not answering to any of my other arguments you
> admitted to being wrong.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 18:16:44 -0400
Subject: Re: A Newbie Linux User Asks:
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

bcampbel wrote:

> Have to disagree with you here. Personaly I think the quality of the two
> technologies for 'most' users is a wash. However, while coax is a
> superior medium for transporting signals, the topology of the wiring out
> to the end users give the edge to DSL. You see DSL is a dedicated line up
> to the Telcos hub or switch.

But that doesn't matter at all,
problem is that even though the line is dedicated,
it's designed for analog voice only and thus,
it's a very noisy channel electrically.

The fact that the copper line runs all the way
to the central office is in fact a big problem
if you live more than about a mile away because
the DSL signal degrades too much to carry much
bandwidth, hence the distance limitation problems
you typically have with DSL.

> Cable is shared with all the other users in
> your neighborhood.
>
> Because of this Cable tends to have better maximum download speeds, but
> can often have -vastly- slower speeds during peak usage times.
>
> The end result is both are really damn good. Get whichever is cheaper in
> your area.

I haven't noticed ANY problems with slower speeds
with cable during peak usage times.
It all depends on how well the network is
constructed.

If the fiber optic cable runs all along the
length of the street, there should be absolutely
no bottlenecks if the cable signal goes up to
the phone pole and then at the pole, it gets converted
to an optical signal and goes over a fiber optic line
that has an enormous amount of bandwidth capability.

  --------== Posted Anonymously via Newsfeeds.Com ==-------
     Featuring the worlds only Anonymous Usenet Server
    -----------== http://www.newsfeeds.com ==----------

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 18:18:03 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>    Aaron> Grzegorz Borek wrote:
>    >>
>    >> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:
>    >> > Wrong.
>    >> >
>    >> > You have no choice over your DESIRES.
>    >> >
>    >> > You have COMPLETE control over your actions.
>    >>
>    >> Try very hard, and think this over:
>    >> Who gave gay people their desires?
>
>    Aaron> Would my desire for millions of dollar justify robbing banks
>
>    Aaron> A) yes
>    Aaron> B) NO
>
>    Aaron> No more questions, your honor.
>
> Does a bank robber have a victim?  Yes.

So do gays.

Or are you unaware of the numerous people who get Hepatitis from
gay restaurant employees

> Hence it is wrong.
>
> Does consensual sexual relations have a victim?  No.
>
> Hence there is nothing wrong with consensual sexual
> relations.
>
> QED.
>
> --
> Andrew Hall
> (Now reading Usenet in alt.fan.rush-limbaugh...)

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:44:59 GMT

Michael Marion wrote:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>
> > shelling out for the cost of the upgrade from NT (which means, by
> > the way, that I have to first install NT on a virgin machine, before
> > I can install Win 2K).
>
> Uh.. don't know what you're talking about, but 2k will install on a virgin box
> even from an "upgrade" disk just fine.  You'll just have to insert the NT disk
> for a few seconds for it to be verified.

Cool.  I just assumed.  I've always had NT already on the machine, or
else was using a "site license" disk at work.

Chris

--
Please enter your Microsoft Client Access Code now,
or rat on your system administrator

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:49:45 GMT

Stuart Fox wrote:

> I read somewhere that Linux is free for those whose time is worth nothing.

A meaningless aphorism.

> Of course if they fork out for NT, they'll still be able to run the majority
> of their apps, they won't have to learn to use a completely different OS -
> ie the GUI will still look the same (roughly), and apps will still
> functionthe same.

And they'll take more time getting it working.

> Or they could just get Linux and struggle to find a decent web browser, have
> to download a new Office suite, be unable to play many games, and basically
> drop their productivity, which is after all what using computers is all
> about.

Somebody's been feeding you some pabulum... you'll find all that and
more in any linux distribution.  Of course, you will find a serious
drop in productivity with Linux, because there are just so many
nifty things to play with in it... screensavers, games, apps, networking,
blah blah blah.

Chris

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:53:32 GMT

Stuart Fox wrote:

> Which is one of the differences.  Windows makes it easy for people to do
> things.  *nix makes it easy for people not to do things.  It also means that
> to use *nix effectively one has to have a higher degree of technical savvy -
> which also accounts for the reason that *nix based desktops are only really
> popular amongst the tech savvy and scientists, and the reason that Windows
> based desktops are so popular.

Did your mother beat you with O'Reilly's "Running Linux" or slice you
with a RedHat disk?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Twatty)
Subject: Can Netware be this bad!
Date: 30 May 2001 15:58:16 -0700

Use sbcon on Netware 5.x to perform a backup (either NDS or the file
system), after submitting the job qman generates a couple of files.
Look in the submitted job directory in sys:queues. Using any text
editor open the file with the .q extension. What do you see?

Surely not your password in plain text?

Novell are aware of this ridiculous security flaw but were you (or
your container admins!)?

------------------------------

From: "Vallely's Dirt in Boss King's Ditch.." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 16:42:02 -0500

ANOTHER goddam fantasy! Kulkis, you are truly an idiot.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray Fischer)
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 23:02:50 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> Does a bank robber have a victim?  Yes.
>
>So do gays.
>
>Or are you unaware of the numerous people who get Hepatitis from
>gay restaurant employees

LOL!  What assinine propaganda!  There aren't "numerous people" who
get hpatitis from gay restaurant employees.  It's just you're stupid
hatred again.

What a stupid asshole you are.

--
Ray Fischer         When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  into you  --  Nietzsche

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 02:04:19 +0200

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:RsdR6.4508$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

XP will not require huge amounts of upgrades.  It will likely
> require 32MB (64 to be useable) just like 98, and it will run fine on a
P133
> and up.

No, it won't.
It requires 233Mhz and I believe 64MB to run.
128MB is recommended.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 02:17:19 +0200

"Karel Jansens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 30 May 2001 19:11:23 +0200, Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> What's the market share of NT/2K?
> >
> >About 10% to 15%
> >
> >> How many viri are writtten specifically for 2K?
> >
> >AFAIK, exactly one, and it wasn't a very hostile one.
> >

> So, I guess that sort of shoots down Chad's point that no viri are written
> for linux because it does not have any market share 9according to him,
that
> is).

Nope.
There *are* viruses for linux.
Although, come to think about it, I haven't heard about viruses lately.
Worms, yes, but not true blue viruses.

A virus writer will want to cause as much damage, so they usually target 9x
platform.

> >> Besides, you claimed that Windows is ubiquitous because it is the
better
> >> O/S. If NT/2K is better than 9x, why is not everybody using that than?
> >
> >Price, Win2K cost more than 9x.
> >NT is also aimed more at bussiness, and there are some problems with
> >compatability with some software.
> >And NT's drivers can be a lot of hassle.
> >

> Huh? So what is it then? Is 2K/NT better or worse than 9x?

Sorry, that should've been NT4's drivers are a hassle.
2K doesn't have this problem.

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 18:32:34 -0500

"Karel Jansens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 30 May 2001 11:42:17 -0500, Chad Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> >"Karel Jansens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> What's the market share of NT/2K?
> >> How many viri are writtten specifically for 2K?
> >>
> >> Besides, you claimed that Windows is ubiquitous because it is the better
> >> O/S. If NT/2K is better than 9x, why is not everybody using that than?
> >
> >Good question. Mainly because OEMs are still shipping Win9x because
> >it used to have better hardware compatibility. That's pretty much
> >not true anymore, but they do.
> >
> >Windows XP will change all that, though. MS is going to quickly
> >fade out Win9x because of all its shortcomings and failings,
> >not to mention it's a support nightmare.
> >

> Do you not get tired of having to change your tune very couple of years?

I haven't changed my tune at all, on this subject at least.

Microsoft have already announced the termination of support for Win9x,
something they never did before.

For a long time, Microsoft was saying that Cairo was going to be the
bridge. Win2K was arguable cairo, it contained most of the vision
of cairo, but because it was already so long in development, they
decided to cut the bridge part out and ship it as an NT replacement
and devote their bridge energies into WinXP. They could've just
delayed Win2K another year or two and shipped it as what WinXP
is now, but many people were clamoring for Win2K, so MS had to
eat a little crow, but in the end, it wasn't that big of a deal.

Of course, you penguinistas blow everything out of proportion,
but what's new...

-c

------------------------------

From: "Gazzard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.mandrake,linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Time to bitc__ again
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 09:37:52 +1000

Well Sentinal, to some extent i agree with you.....
I was actually putting my point of view accross, which (although not clearly
defined with an IMHO) is infact my opinion, you should have learnt by now
that we linux users are a very opinionated bunch, and will argue over that
for what its worth (which isnt much).

I bow at your feet for refraining to bag my opinions, you have great will
power. and for that reason, i now do somomly swear to from this day forward,
to only bag Microsoft and its associated crapness.

But as i said, each man to his opinions, im still going to say: Mandrake is
crap, but as you know that is my opinion not the gerneral concensus,
(actually i should re-write that: IMHO Mandrake is crap....there....thats
better.)

Rowan Gazzard
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: 30 May 2001 23:56:53 GMT

On Wed, 30 May 2001 19:38:22 GMT,
 Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>> > Someone said I snip inappropriately
>> There have been twopeople who said that, Mr Rosen and myself. Do you always
>> pay so little attention ?
>
> And neither of you have supplied any examples.
>
>> > - yet no proof has been supplied. You
>> > say proof has already been supplied, so where is it? C'mon show me _one_
>> > example.
>> Nope, I told you I'm not playing your game any longer.
>
> I'm not playing your game either. You accuse me of something but you
> don't produce anything to back up your claims.
>
> LIAR!
Pete, you've become a stuck record, alternating between asking for info
previously supplied, and accusing me of being a liar.

Get a grip.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 30 May 2001 23:59:05 GMT

On Wed, 30 May 2001 19:36:56 GMT,
 Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <9f29se$jka$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>
>> I did, several times and you ignored it all. I'm not going to try again.
>
> I don't remember them, and I think I would. The fact that you're not
> willing (or unable) to post any examples despite being asked repeatedly
> to produce them tells me you're lying and there are none.
>
> --
> Pete
There is another alternative Pete, one which you seem unable to
grasp.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 18:56:11 -0500

> Said Erik Funkenbusch in alt.destroy.microsoft on Sat, 26 May 2001
> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>    [...]
NT4

> >> <*Sniff*> <*Sniff*>
> >>
> >> What's that smell?  It smells like...
> >>
> >> Horseshit.
> >>
> >> MS touted the "massive overhaul" bullshit for every version of Windows
> >> they've shoveled onto the market.  Just because MS redacted their press
> >> doesn't mean they didn't make the claim, Erik.
> >
> >They didn't make the claim.  Please prove it.  Otherwise, Shut the fuck
up.

> They make that claim when they give it an entirely new name and market
> it as a major rewrite.  Putz.

Oh, I see.  So Progeny is an entirely new rewrite of Linux because it has a
new name.  I get it.

Stop saying such ludicrous BS.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 18:58:19 -0500

"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Charlie Ebert wrote:
> >
> > In article <lKKP6.4035$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch
wrote:

> > >No, I was responding to Matthew Gardeners claim that if MS had got it
right
> > >the first time, there would have been no need for Windows 2000.  That
is the
> > >point, stop trying to pretend otherwise.
> > >

> > Well, you'd have to be an idiot to buy W2k.
> >
> > You'd have  to be an even bigger imbecile to buy XP.
>
> Although I'm not fond of Microsoft products, and they irritate me
> quite often with how they sort-of work, I have found Win 2K to
> be relatively pleasant, after a nice machine upgrade, and, of course,
> shelling out for the cost of the upgrade from NT (which means, by
> the way, that I have to first install NT on a virgin machine, before
> I can install Win 2K).

That's not true.  You can install clean, and the install will ask for the NT
CD to prove you own the original.