From: Ilya Konstantinov [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ilya
Konstantinov
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2004 8:01 PM
To: Linux-IL; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Fwd: FW: Skype for Linux

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 04:12:26PM +0300, Micha Feigin wrote:
> Considering they will have to start making money somehow at some point
> in order to keep from going under (it looks like the company is going
> after profit and not fun) they will have to add extra features for pay
> (such as answering machine, call router, etc.). If they make the
> protocol open then I don't think they will be able to do this, so I
> kind of understand why they keep it closed source.
>
> As much as I am pro open-source, you need think about their side of
> things also (they have to eat somehow ;-)

They can sell cocaine, for all I care. That too might help them to make ends
meet. Locking me out from communicating with my neighbor is not a legitimate
business which I can respect.

Sure they can make non-free answering machines and call routers with an open
protocol! They simply have to make theirs better. It can be just the same as
Internet routers, which mostly use open protocols.

P.S. Please note I'm not much of a free-software preacher. I'm talking about
this specific case since prohibition of interoperatibility is a thing Linux
users (ideological or not) got burnt by way too often.

mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]