On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 01:15:05AM +0000, Diego Iastrubni wrote:
> ×Tuesday 18 May 2004 9:51 pm, ×××× ×× ××× Ilya Konstantinov:
> > Besides, if their version would have sucky Hebrew support, you couldn't
> > fix it. If it wouldn't have ALSA support, you couldn't fix it. You'd be
> > at their mercy, since by then all your buddies use Skype to chat.
>
> and yet, I have not decent way to talk with my family abroad using linux/free
> tools.
> Any ideas?

I don't think gaim has video conferencing support yet.

The only free linux solution I know of is gnomemeeting/ohphone which
can connect to netmeeting on windows (it exists under W2K although you
need to activate it as its not in the menus, I believe it also exists
in XP, google for it, microsoft is trying to make people move to msn so
its hiding it).

It allows for video conferencing and voice only conferencing plus some
extra. Its not firewall transparent like skype (you will need to open a
port), has some kind of ability to use central servers to resolve
dinamic IPs (ILS directories) and you use IP or address to connect, so
you can use hostname->dynamic IP resolvers also for that (such as
http://freedns.afraid.org/ which I use or a host of others)

It uses direct access as opposed to skype's P2P access.

The advantages over skype are that its free with an open protocol(s),
compatible with windows and allows for video which skype doesn't. It
has tools for auto-answering, answering machine and call routing (under
linux for free).

Downside, its more of a hustle to setup (firewall and ip handling).

No idea as for quality.