Deirdre did a better job than I could describing the *general* procedure for
upgrading a kernel. She didn't mention, though, the one thing that would
worry me most: the change from libc5 to glibc. Slackware 96 (aka Slackware
3.2) is old, using the old library and associated apps. Surely the new
kernel uses the new library. Also, what version of gcc does 2.2.0 expect --
is it still demanding the older version? A beginner will surely need advice
about these issues.

Lacking an urgent need for 2.2, I myself expect to wait for distributions to
ship with it, allowing me to update the whole set of associated apps at the
same time.

At 11:58 AM 2/4/99 -0800, Deirdre Saoirse wrote [excerpt only]:

>Then, as root (because I like to do it on ONE BIG HAPPY command line):
>
>make dep; make clean ; make bzImage ; make modules ; make modules_install

762 Garland Drive
Palo Alto, CA  94303-3603
650.321.3561 voice     650.322.1209 fax          [EMAIL PROTECTED]