Note: this was sent to me privately; I'm redirecting the followups to the
list. I am with Rick Moen on the netiquette of helping on a list, see:
http://hugin.imat.com/~rick/faq/ (i.e. don't send a help request to me
privately)

get the new kernel (ftp.kernel.org is one site) and put it in /usr/src
(probably you need to be root to do the latter)

tar -zxf (filename) -- if it ends in .gz, I think they're now doing bz2,
if you get one of those:

bunzip2 (filename)
tar -xf (filename)

cd into the created directory

make menuconfig (or make xconfig or make config) to select the kernel
options you prefer. Be careful and read every single one.

Then, as root (because I like to do it on ONE BIG HAPPY command line):

make dep; make clean ; make bzImage ; make modules ; make modules_install

cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage to wherever your current kernel is: either / or
/boot, depending on distro. DO NOT COPY OVER YOUR OLD KERNEL! You should
give it a name other than bzImage though. :)

edit /etc/lilo.conf using your editor of choice, adding a *second* entry
just like the first one except for the name of the new kernel image and
the name you use at the lilo prompt for it. I usually name my newest
kernel linux and the other ones something that identifies them: linux-2035
for 2.0.35.

/sbin/lilo

I repeat, run /sbin/lilo

If you get ANY errors, it didn't run and your system is in an unbootable
state. Fix it and run /sbin/lilo again.

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> PLs help me do it
>
> Guido,
> Saludos/Regards
> Asuncion Paraguay

_Deirdre  *  http://disclaimer.deirdre.org  *  http://www.deirdre.net
"Linux is a very complete and sophisticated operating system," said
[Paul] Maritz, Microsoft's group vice president for platforms and
applications. "There are and will be large numbers of applications
available for it."