Good points all. I've only been a Linux user since August, so I wouldn't
think of these things. :)

I have a separate system with egcs for compiling newer stuff including
2.2.0. In the case of a system as old as '96, I'd probably recommend
buying a new hard drive, installing on that, running the old one as a
backup and moving stuff as needed.

This is what I did from RH 5.1 to SuSE 5.3 (I had other things I needed to
upgrade). It allowed me to move binaries from /old/usr/local/bin as I
needed them.

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Ray Olszewski wrote:

> Deirdre did a better job than I could describing the *general* procedure for
> upgrading a kernel. She didn't mention, though, the one thing that would
> worry me most: the change from libc5 to glibc. Slackware 96 (aka Slackware
> 3.2) is old, using the old library and associated apps. Surely the new
> kernel uses the new library. Also, what version of gcc does 2.2.0 expect --
> is it still demanding the older version? A beginner will surely need advice
> about these issues.
>
> Lacking an urgent need for 2.2, I myself expect to wait for distributions to
> ship with it, allowing me to update the whole set of associated apps at the
> same time.

_Deirdre  *  http://disclaimer.deirdre.org  *  http://www.deirdre.net
"Linux is a very complete and sophisticated operating system," said
[Paul] Maritz, Microsoft's group vice president for platforms and
applications. "There are and will be large numbers of applications
available for it."