Oops. Bad sentence. I realize blocking domains is different than rbl's and ip
addresses.

I should have split the two ideas up.

I use RBl's, but I don't agree with blocking out IP address blocks or domains for the
reasons already stated.

The customer switched ISP's because the problem with the blocked IP address could not
be resolved. I will reiterate that it wasn't just the single address that was blocked,
but an entire block of addresses.

I do; however, feel that whitelists could be used. We all sign up for user groups and
have to verify our intention with a reply email. I am sure a lot of us have filled out
forms on the web site to receive information or to download a file. I understand that
getting on the whitelist needs to be fairly painless or it just won't work.

I kind of imagine it to work something like this. You send me an email for the first
time, and receive an email asking you to reply so that you can be added to the list.
You reply and the original email gets delivered.

We have one ISP in Toronto advertising a program that does just this. It is
http://ipermitmail.com

I am watching with interest to see how it goes.

I know that I am probably in the minority, but it's my 2 cents.

Regards,

Wil McGilvery
Manager
Lynch Digital Media Inc