On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 06:15:17PM -0600, collins wrote:
>Unfortunately it's not comcast that will eat the bounces.  In order to
>get broadband service (DSL is not offered), I have to use comcast.net (I
>don't know anything about comcast.com), and since people are so friendly
>about bulk blocking of anything they don't like, I already have one user
>list that I can neither unsubscribe from nor post to, since all mail is
>bounced.
>
>comcast.net users have no control.  Fortunately, I'm not being blocked
>by any other group.  It seems to me that spam filters would be a more
>friendly approach, rather than assuming that all users on the domain are
>spam.

You might be surprised at who's blocking comcast, and not just with RBLs,
but router level blocks on SMTP from 12.254.0.0/16 and 172.128.0.0/10.
We're talking some major U.S. national broadband providers who've given up
on trying to get comcast/attbi to deal with their issues.

AOL recently started block connections from any server that doesn't have
rDNS (Reverse Domain Name Service).  We've been doing that here for several
months, and it has done wonders for the spam levels with few false
positives.  This isn't blocking on rDNS that doesn't agree with the HELO
announcement, only hosts with no rDNS.  It can be argued that anybody who's
running a legitimate mail server should at least be able to get some type
of rDNS working (and yes, I know of a local ISP here who's DSL netblocks
come from uu.net, and uu.net can't/won't delegate the rDNS to the ISP).

Folks on this list may well argue that this shouldn't apply to them, but
for every cable/dsl use who has a clue, there are thousands who don't.  The
clueless ones install Windows systems directly to their broadband
connection with no firewall/router, giving access to all the insecure
Microsoft stuff (but I repeat myself).

Bill
--
INTERNET:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.

We contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a
man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    -- Winston Churchill