This MUST be executed from within X.

"xhost downstairs" tells X to open up access to "downstairs" so that
"downstairs" is able to communicate with your video/kb/mouse.
A virtual console doesn't have access to tell X this.

                    Tim Wunder

                    <twunder@iwmail.        To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    com>                    cc:

                    Sent by:                Subject:     Re: Stupid newbie network
question
                    linux-users-admi

                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                    07/10/01 11:43

                    PM

                    Please respond

                    to linux-users

On Tuesday 10 July 2001 12:08 pm, you wrote:
> Tim Wunder wrote:
> > Can I get a GUI login from my upstairs PC running Mandrake 8.0 to my
> > downstairs PC running Caldera eD2.4? I'd like to be able to login to my
> > desktop and run my KDE apps if my wife happens to be downstairs on the
> > main PC (and vice versa). I would think that this should be fairly
> > straght-forward, linux being built for networking and all. Is this what
> > VNC is for? I thought VNC was intended to be used when connecting to a
> > linux server from some other O/S (Win, Mac, etc).
> > Care to hit me with a clue stick?
> > Regards,
> > Tim
>
> Assuming hostnames or <upstairs> and <downstairs>
>
> 1. On <upstairs> type:
> # xhost downstairs

Received error: xhost: unable to open display""

Do I need to exit X completely before executing this command? I just did
Ctl-Alt-F1 to get a console login and tried it.