To disconnect from the X server after 1 query you need to send -once :

X :1 -query foo.com -once

Should get you going.. It will fire another X server(assuming you are already
running one-otherwise omith this) on :1, query foo.com and allow you once you
logout from kde or whatever to exit X session without the
bomb(cntrl/alt/bksp).. Also you may wish to implement the desktop chooser..
This is quite cool, you will be able to have a drop down menu with different
machine X sessions you want to log-into. Takes some futzing with and you will
probably need to run xdm instead of kdm.. man xdm for the chooser setup..
This does the same as above but the chooser listens for xdmcp broadcasts and
allows you to choose from them..

Jim