You can run you KDE apps from your downstairs PC fairly easily w/o
having to use a GUI login.  If you are networked, simply telnet to your
downstairs PC in an xterm.  Once logged in, set your display to your
upstairs PC:

in C-shell:
$ setenv DISPLAY <upstairsPC-IPorName>:0

Now you can run any app from that term and display it on your upstairs
machine.

Hope this helps.

=====