Bruce Marshall offered this little gem:

[snippage]

% Just found another 'wide decision' in SuSE 7.2
%
% Tried to add a user...   like webmaster.   Should be an easy thing to do.
%
% Nope...  It es verboten to add a user uhnless it be 2 to 8  chars in  length!!
%
% Dumb...  totally dumb.

No, neither dumb nor totally dumb. Only recently has support for
user names longer than 8 characters developed. As long as you stay
within a strictly Linux (and, I believe, a strictly 2.4+ kernel
and glibc >= 2.1, but I could be mistaken) long user names are
fine. But, they are extremely non-portable - if you use NFS and/or
NIS (or NIS+) with non-Linux *NIXen systems, long user names may
cause problems. Big UIDs, on the other hand, are no problem.

% But just go to command line and use YAST  instead of the gui YAST2.   No
% problems, no questions asked.
%
% Dumb...  totally dumb.

The GUI tool is behind. BFD. Point-and-click system administration
is bad idea, anyway. ;-)

Kurt