Ah, finally someone has mentioned what I hated about SuSE when I
installed it around v6.1 or so.  Many of the design decisions made are
almost indecipherable to mere mortals, requiring lots of time and
investigation.  There doesn't always seem to be a good reason, just a
"because we felt like it" rationale.  Seeing the number of rave reviews
posted here, I started to wonder if nobody else had noticed.  Of course,
the other distros do the same thing, but SuSE reminds me of trying to
work on my wife's Ford.  Wierd, and for no good reason.  I currently
prefer Mandrake or Caldera since Mandrake isn't particularly quirky
under the hood and I'm used to OpenLinux's wierdnesses after 5 years or
more of tinkering.