On Sun, 11 Nov 2001 18:44:57 -0500, you wrote:

>Net Llama babbled on about:
>> I've started to grow rather tired of the fact that all of the boxes that
>> i'm running are glibc-2.1.x based, instead of the newer (and
>> quasi-standard) glibc-2.2.x.  This of course means that i must always
>> build from source in order to use anything, since virtually no one is
>> building RPMs against glibc-2.1.x anymore.
>> I've heard the nightmare trainwrecks of improperly upgrading a box from
>> glibc-2.1.x to glibc-2.2.x, so i'm quite leary of doing it wrong.
>> I've read the (rather outdated) SxS from Dave Bandel on upgrading glibc,
>> and what i'm taking away from it is basically that i can't just do a
>> standard upgrade of glibc, since every binary on my box is dependent
>> upon the existing version for functionality.  So, the only safe way to
>> do the upgrade is to actually install the newer glibc-2.2.x side-by-side
>> with the older glibc-2.1.x, and then for anything i compile in the
>> future, explicitly specify that it should be compiled against
>> glibc-2.2.x.
>>
>> So, am i right, or am i missing something?  Any other gotchas?
>
>not really what you asked for, but since you're doing this, might as well go
>2.4 ... it seems to be the most stable 2.x glibc yet from what I've seen/heard

Doug:

I'd be happy to try it here if I can get glibc 2-4.4 to BUILD....I
can't even get make to go....and there doesn't appear to be any
support for it either as to help, so I'll post the error here in hopes
that SOMEONE can get this to run and allow me to test...

[root@eagle glibc-2.2.4]# ./configure --enable-add-on
checking sysdep dirs... sysdeps/i386/elf
sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/i686 sysde
ps/unix/sysv/linux/i386 sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux sysdeps/gnu
sysdeps/unix/common
sysdeps/unix/mman sysdeps/unix/inet sysdeps/unix/sysv/i386
sysdeps/unix/sysv sys
deps/unix/i386 sysdeps/unix sysdeps/posix sysdeps/i386/i686/fpu
sysdeps/i386/i68
6 sysdeps/i386/i486 sysdeps/i386/fpu sysdeps/i386 sysdeps/wordsize-32
sysdeps/ie
ee754/ldbl-96 sysdeps/ieee754/dbl-64 sysdeps/ieee754/flt-32
sysdeps/ieee754 sysd
eps/generic/elf sysdeps/generic
checking for a BSD compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for pwd... /bin/pwd
checking for gcc... gcc
checking version of gcc... 2.95.3, ok
checking for gnumake... no
checking for gmake... no
checking for make... make
checking version of make... 3.79.1, ok
checking for gnumsgfmt... no
checking for gmsgfmt... no
checking for msgfmt... msgfmt
checking version of msgfmt... 0.10.35, bad
checking for makeinfo... makeinfo
checking version of makeinfo... 4.0, ok
checking for gsed... no
checking for sed... sed
checking version of sed... 3.02, ok
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler...
(cached) no
checking whether /usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/as is GNU as... yes
checking whether /usr/local/i686-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld is GNU ld... yes
checking for mig... mig
configure: warning:
*** These auxiliary programs are missing or too old: msgfmt
*** some features will be disabled.
*** Check the INSTALL file for required versions.
checking whether ranlib is necessary... no
checking LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable... ok
checking for bash... /bin/sh
checking for mawk... mawk
checking for perl... /bin/perl
checking for install-info... /usr/bin/install-info
checking for old Debian install-info... no
checking for bison... /usr/bin/bison
checking for signed size_t type... no
checking for libc-friendly stddef.h... yes
checking whether we need to use -P to assemble .S files... no
checking whether .text pseudo-op must be used... yes
checking for assembler global-symbol directive... .globl
checking for .set assembler directive... yes
checking for .symver assembler directive... yes
checking for ld --version-script... yes
checking for .previous assembler directive... yes
checking for .protected and .hidden assembler directive... yes
checking for -z nodelete option... yes
checking for -z nodlopen option... yes
checking for -z initfirst option... yes
checking for -Bgroup option... no
checking whether cc puts quotes around section names... no
checking for assembler .weak directive... yes
checking for ld --no-whole-archive... yes
checking for gcc -fexceptions... yes
checking for DWARF2 unwind info support... static
checking for __builtin_expect... no
checking for local label subtraction... no
checking for libgd... yes
checking size of long double... 12
running configure fragment for ./sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux
checking installed Linux kernel header files... 2.0.10 or later
*** On GNU/Linux systems it is normal to compile GNU libc with the
*** `linuxthreads' add-on.  Without that, the library will be
*** incompatible with normal GNU/Linux systems.
*** If you really mean to not use this add-on, run configure again
*** using the extra parameter `--disable-sanity-checks'.

[root@eagle glibc-2.2.4]#
[root@eagle glibc-2.2.4]# make
Makeconfig:84: sysdeps/../config.make: No such file or directory
Makerules:690: no file name for `include'
The GNU C library has not been configured.
Run `configure' to configure it before building.
Try `configure --help' for more details.
make: *** [sysdeps/../config.status] Error 1

Any clues from anyone out there, as I can't build gcc-3.0.2 until this
works....

George

===[George R. Kasica]===        +1 262 677 0766
President                       +1 206 374 6482 FAX
Netwrx Consulting Inc.          Jackson, WI USA
http://www.netwrx1.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ #12862186