At 08:33 AM 2/23/99 +0800, Dave Crocker wrote:
>At 08:00 AM 2/22/99 -0800, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
>>which half to respond to, out of context. The defining clause, to the
>>paragraph you spoke to was thus;
>> "Personally, I think it is caused by their business structure.Non-profits
>> *always* are short of funds. That's not real good for stability."
>
>Does it matter that your "personal" assessment is factually wrong?  Does it
>matter that the points I made about the funding basis and timing for ICANN
>are correct?

Sure, if they were correct. IMHO, they weren't.

>For that matter, your "personal" assessment then implies that non-profits
>never have (sufficient) public support.  You are, of course, entitled to
>your personal opinion.

Actually, I was speaking to two different issues simultaneously. Perhaps
that was wrong since it so muddied them in your mind. I should have
bifurcated them. One is the issue that non-profits can raise sufficient
funding for major projects. I have never seen that succeed. There usually
has to be some major benefactor to get the ball rolling and do the initial
capital outlay. Once that occurs, maintenance funding is usually
achievable. It has nothing to do with the merits of the non-profit, in
those circumstances. The other is the issue of ICANN support. Both speak
towards stability, but both are entirely different issues.
Roeland M.J. Meyer -
e-mail:                                      mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Internet phone:                                hawk.lvrmr.mhsc.com
Personal web pages:             http://staff.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site:                           http://www.mhsc.com
                       KISS ... gotta love it!