If I was in QLD I would help out.

I am in QLD so may be able to help you out further if you need it but I think it's hard to deal with generalities.

It seems you're saying the code the GDs turn out is not up to standard. But whose standard? Is it yours or does the university have a clear set of guidelines with regards the coding of its sites? If the university has guidelines then I'd think they should be your first point of reference.

It's a bit hard to give advice as to where to iron out the bumps when we don't really know who's responsible for doing what. It seems to me like it would be easier to provide evidence to back up the standards-way of doing things for specific examples. For instance, with the point you made about images in navigation menus, we could point to tutorials on accessible image replacement etc.

--
Tyssen Design
Web & print design services