Technically, you can use the new tags today, and style them with CSS. The only drawback is your document won't validate. The only thing that needs to change is the DTD you validate against.

I've seen examples of fully xhtml 2.0 sites working in IE6 via javascript and css. We're just waiting for it to stop being a moving target.

-Breton