Aja Lorenzo Lapus wrote:
Isn't XHTML2 the one being endorsed by W3C and not HTML5? HTML5 is
being formulated at WHATWG, AFAIK,

Aja, you're completely correct. I'm immensely relieved and ashamed of my bad research at the same time.

On the XML + XSLT issue - well XML is completely extensible and XSLT can turn that into pretty much anything. The idea behind making all sorts of extras native to HTML is supposedly to make HTML that bit more rich in and of itself - without recourse to other formats for widgets and active elements. The argument that this is overcomplicated and unnecessary is one I still stand by, mind.

Regards,
Barney