[snip excellent examples of all the meanings of x]
None of these is an abbreviation.

Maybe not, but ABBR is the closest thing we've got in HTML. After
that, we're left with harsh language
(http://www.maxdesign.com.au/2006/02/03/harsh-language/).

'No.' is an abbreviation of the word 'number'. A screen reader should say
'number' when it finds 'No.'.
So how do we tell screen readers (and browsers) which is the right function,
depending on the context?

This is why I said that we should have had the ability to add a title
to symbols in HTML. One symbol/entity can have more than one use in
language/communication/society. We need a way to express those
different uses.

--
--- <http://www.200ok.com.au/>
--- The future has arrived; it's just not