Andrew Wowk wrote:
John, I think that would be a lot of fun to experiment with. Some of your
numbers are a bit off. For example, 100 whrs/mile is on the light side,
unless you are riding less than 40 mph most of the time, or have a light
setup. I'd figure more like 120 for 45 mph avg. riding.

fair enough
And, as for the generator output, if it's going into your charger, than the
charger will be about 85% efficient. So, a 3500 watt generator running for
1/2 hour through your charger could put 1487.5 whrs back into the battery
pack, or add about 12.4 miles. Not bad.

ah good point.
It'd be nice if the generator only kicks on at 80% DOD, so it wouldn't be
used often, but than it can't replace charge fast enough to add much extra
range.

Here's an idea, I have for comparison. Couldn't you just buy a 125-250cc
maxi scooter which gets 70-80 mpg?
I could indeed, in fact SB Motorsports has a Kymco on sale for $1500. However, I am committed to wearing armor on the street: my gray-haired racing buds tell me I have to treat a scooter just like a big bike ( never mind the 10,000 girls riding in Rome with strapless sandals) . All the gear is a big hassle for short around town trips. I am working on a di-wheel idea that will let me just wear a helmet, according to my completely arbitrary self-imposed rules. Plus, there is the urge to tinker.

Also the original idea to do this was based on an 800lb 4 wheeler sand rail.

No claims to practicality on my part, just fun.

John