Sri Subramanian wrote:

So, my first issue is: how does one estimate the weight of a bike when the
motor is out. E.g. how much heavier is say, a Ninja 500 rolling chassis over a
Ninja 250 one? Does it matter enough to be a consideration?
not really. the dirt bikes are a lot lighter, but have no fairing. Even a race fairing is $1000. Dirt bikes do not have enough brakes for your weight, so probably should rule them out, unless you want to do the motard thing. ( I would, but thats me)

you should be able to get bikes weights with a simple Google pass. Generally tourers and cruisers are heaviest.

I'd read the recent discussions pro and con transmissions. Some bikes are a lot easier with the tranny than others, because its separate from the motor.