I still cringe everytime someone recommends an Etek motor.  Yes you can save
about 25 lbs over an ADC 6.7" motor, but they just have such a small margin for
error in this application that you are always flirting with a motor meltdown.
A bad choice in gear ratios, I little too much time pulling a hill, or
overaggressive acceleration is all it takes to heat the solder to the point
where things start to fly apart.  The ADC style motors are practically
bulletproof in this application.

damon

To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:42:41 -0400From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
Re: [ElectricMotorcycles] Choosing a bike for conversionSorry for the duplicate
post. This one is complete.Hello Sri,My daily driver is a 1994 Kawasaki Ninja
EV, previously an EX500. It weighs just north of 500 pounds sans rider with an
ADC 6.7" (50 #s) and 72 volts of Optima yellow top AGMs ((265#s) including
controller and onboard charger.Want to know what I'd build in your shoes based
on my actual driving expereince of John Bidwell's ElMoto (e.g fun factor)?A
modern 125cc to 200cc drit bike/enduro. I'd target the completed weight to be
less than 300#s which shouldn't be a problem with an Etek type motor and
Lithium Phospate batteries. - Mike BachandDenver Electric Vehicle
Council-----Original Message-----From: Sri Subramanian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 7:28 pmSubject: [ElectricMotorcycles]
Choosing a bike for conversion

Hi everyone,I am a newbie in this vocation, and I am considering what bike to
buy for this project.I've read the 'El Ninja' book, listened in on your
conversations and checked out conversions on the Austin EV site, and it looks
to me like I need to pick a bike with these criteria:[I am assuming that the
bike I convert won't be freeway capable, so about 50 mph max and < 50 mile
range max]1. Light, light, light. Trim as much as possible.2. Minimal rolling
resistance (and won't hurt to be aerodynamic as well).3. Have enough space
under tank for batteries (I am thinking LiFePO4, so not too much worry
there).4. Modern (so decent suspension, brakes) and common make, model (so
parts easy to get).So, my first issue is: how does one estimate the weight of a
bike when the motor is out. E.g. how much heavier is say, a Ninja 500 rolling
chassis over a Ninja 250 one? Does it matter enough to be a consideration?If I
want to take my first criterion seriously (and am not worried about freeway
speeds) would I not want to get an even smaller CC bike, 125cc say a dual-sport
bike? More generally, are there any gotchas with using an on-off road chassis
(presuming I can switch out the knobby tires)? Of course, these bikes are less
aerodynamic than the sport bikes, so that's a downside.I've also considered a
Yamaha YSR 50 or Derbi GPR 50 chassis, but comfort may be an issue on those
bikes.Thanks for any feedback!Sri Subramanian

Get the MapQuest Toolbar, Maps, Traffic, Directions & More!
http://www.gowindowslive.com/Mobile/Landing/Messenger/Default.aspx?Locale=en-US?ocid=TAG_APRIL