*sigh* :) This one's going to be a long one, so bare with me.

--

1) Silky is just vocal and yeah he may go against the grain, but in the end he
is a customer of Microsoft and whether I agree or disagree with his views, I'll

As for the snowflake comment. We are in what, year 2? And already we are
exceeding our critics expectations and more over, our competitors. The story
with Silverlight will continue to get better as we aren't being reactive, we
are keeping calm and pushing forward with what we think is a good bet. Our
competitor has been reactive and are busy fighting fires on many fronts, and
all the power to them. As from growing ground swell from 0 to where we are
today, that has been an enormous effort undertaken and lists like this are a
testament to this. The community and technology is growing, but we aren't just
building a runtime - we are building a UX Platform all with interconnecting
pieces (Tools, Services, Communities etc) and there is no "instant deploy"
button (wish there was).

2) I need to pick my wording more carefully around you :) - It's not that "I
don't get it" I disagree with it. There is millions upon millions of .NET
friendly folks from around the world who are keen to explore/adopt the new
Sivlerlight ecosystem as well as many thousands of folks whom are also keen to
use both Flash and Silverlight. Right now, it's much easier conversation to
work with the folks whom understand Microsoft tools & culture - or have
invested in Microsoft technology already - than it is to worry about convincing
the folks loyal to the Adobe brand that we have just as strong offering.
Doesn't mean we won't spend our energy and time doing so, just that our
existing customers are just as important as new customers. That's the
simplicity of it all, grow but don't lose sight of the customers that gave you
success in the first place.

The overarching message is that this is not a zero sum game, you can use BOTH.
If you don't like Silverlight or you think based on your own investment, skill
set and resources made available that Flex is a better solution - then choose
Flex. I'd rather you pick a solution that best suits your skills, budget and
long term plans then one that is a forced fit. As this is a short term win,
massive long-term loss.

To put it in perspective, Barry you're in the top 1% of the Adobe developer
pyramid, in that you have skills that have been nurtured and cultivated because
you've spent time with the right people over the years (I know as I was also
there alongside you). The trick isn't so much "why did company xyz choose
Flex", I suspect you influenced the discussion or will influence it, but the
real hurdle you will face is simple, finding another Barry as you don't scale.
How many ActionScript 3.0 developers exist in Brisbane? How many .NET
developers exist in Brisbane? This is where we see our difference, in that we
aren't focused just on the runtime, we are also focused on ensuring there is a
vibrant ecosystem. Silverlight's coming from behind, that's ok.. we'll get
there eventually, especially when we have partners like Readify whom are
teaching troops in multiple cities as well as whom foster this list.

Flash has a lot of pro's and con's associated to it, you know I know them much
better than most and if I weren't a Microsoft employee, I'd unload a blog post
or two on what these are and where they sit. The fact is, I'm a blue badge and
have to watch what I say and when - especially being a Product Manager now. I'd
love to get knee deep into a compete debate, but it creates to much controversy
and folks at times simply see it as "Microsoft vs Adobe" (not to mention Adobe
staffers just got nuts at it) and it detracts away from the intent to air the
concerns/misinformation associated to the technology.

I will say this however, the experiences aren't always the same and we also
have a platform agnostic approach. Silverlight IS x-platform and will continue
to grow beyond the operating systems and into other areas (i.e. devices etc).
Our intent is to not just be platform agnostic but also provide developers the
ability to actually write once and deploy to many (do I need to remind you of
the actual workflow in design to develop with Adobe technology). Flash, Flex,
Flash Lite, AIR etc all don't offer this. It's still a fragmented conversation
and even with Breeze / aka Adobe Connect it's still skewed. Our tools like
Visual Studio 2008, will enable this to happen alongside Expression Studio, if
it doesn't .. tell us as I guarantee you there are many ears keen to cover off
blind spots we may have.

3) Why would we? Flex Framework maybe open source, but the runtime isn't, and
so given our intent to fix the entire UX story around Microsoft technology, we
are now building a platform to suite. In doing so, hitching our carriage behind
a runtime that we have no control over or influence is simply too dangerous
(both for us and our customers). Given Adobe/Macromedia mistakes of the past,
we in turn are held hostage to the runtime's future evolution which in turn
means our customers are as well. It doesn't stop with the runtime either, the
actual SWF itself is owned by Adobe and they also decide its fate / future.
Given the Software + Service strategy we have painted for our future, it just
doesn't fit. We are committed to interoperability and with formats like OOXML &
XAML it's clear we mean it. Some will disagree, that's fine, but we will push
on head just the same as in the end these are ways to ensure that folks don't
end up with past mistakes, like having binary .doc files that take a lot of
effort to deserialize. Today, you get a docx file which is a zip file that can
be leveraged by anyone - even Adobe are using docx with their acquired product
- Buzzword.

That's what makes us different, we are committed to interoperability and Adobe
isn't. Adobe are welcome to use our technology and the bulk of their sales come
from customers using Microsoft products, it's nice to on one hand denounce us
while at the same time use us. We are annoyed yet delighted and that's the
beauty of Microsoft, we have many faces to our products/services and don't buy
into the "Us or Them" arguments.

In the end Barry, this is a much bigger Petri dish and the Adobe community are
measured in thousands. Microsoft community is measured in millions, it's the
raw facts and it's not because we tricked the world into buying our products
year after year. We do a lot of good along with our customers who exceed our
expectations year after year. It's simply because we approach things with long
term vision and never with a short term focus. If we make mistakes, we regroup,
fix and get a release out the door as fast as humanly possible while keeping
quality assurance as close to perfect as we can. You win some battles, and you
lose some but you keep moving forward.

Adobe and Microsoft will eventually go separate paths in this Silverlight vs.
Flash debate. You saw hints of this at MIX08 where we went out of our way to
show what you can't do with Flash. We will have a set of features that have "Me
to" associated to it, but we're more excited about innovation and putting
things right in this space, as that's where the true fun begins. 3D inside
Flash is over-rated, as in the end only a handful understand how to use it and
those that do, aren't doing much with it. Outsmart is probably the only company
worldwide that has done something significant with 3D but could a mining
company use Fake 3D to explode schematic diagrams for parts ordering? - nope.
Let's talk about real 3D instead?