I see some benefits to making a very light server that can keep basic
statistic, but yes I do see the ease in just reusing an smtp server.

Anyway I will take a look at the most recent code

https://github.com/apache/log4cxx/tree/trunk
has the last commit 11 months ago, can you just confirm this is right?

thanks much