On 2011-08-12, Dominik Psenner wrote:

> On 08/12/2011 07:19 PM, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>> Short term we'll be slowed down by the fact that there are only very few
>> people with write access to the source tree, of course.

> Could the short term development be done in a remote repository,
> likewise hg hosted on bitbucket?

We do have a read-only git version at git://git.apache.org/log4net.git
<http://git.apache.org/log4net.git/> mirrored at github as well
<https://github.com/apache/log4net>

Given that svn is new to some of the people who raised their hand to
help I'm a bit reluctant to add yet another tool new to them to the mix
(and throw in something like git-svn or hg-svn on top of that).  Combine
that with the change in philosophy a distributed VCS brings.

> One would not need to have write access to the original source and can
> still work versioned. If one keeps a strict linear history (no
> merges), one should also be able to push changes back to the svn
> repository.

I agree this would work and would be willing to give it a try with
people who want to work that way.  But this really depends on the people
who will actually do the commit to svn (which I currently can't do
myself either).

Thanks for setting up the hg mirror.

       Stefan