On Fri, 19 Oct 2001, Kirrily Robert wrote:

> Oh, if we're heading *that* way, here are some "software project
> management and survival" type books that I think are classics:
>
> Peopleware, by Tom DeMarco and Timothy Lister
> Death March, by Ed Yourdon

We had a textbook on object oriented design by Yourdon, but the class was
fall 1999 and he was getting moderately famous at the time for being a Y2K
paranoiac, so no one in the class -- including the professor -- could take
anything he said or wrote all that seriously. Most of the assignments and
exam questions & answers would sneak in some kind of jibe about "well if I
was designing an object oriented non-electronic bunker..."

I don't recall anyone mentioning Jakob Nielsen's books, particularly
_Designing Web Usability_, but it deserves a place on the list. Ditto _The
C Programming Language_, which again I may have missed mention of.

And if the list isn't strictly confined to computery books, _Flatland_.

At the advice of recent threads on (void) & L.pm, I have just returned
from the library with copies of _Einstein's Dreams_ by Alan Lightman
(which I'm rereading because someone borrowed & lost my original copy),
_The Elegant Universe_ by Brian Greene, and _QED_ by Richard Feynmann.

But I might end up reading _Me Talk Pretty Some Day_ by David Sedaris
first. Depends which of science or humor ends up winning the CFT battle :)

--
Chris Devers

"People with machines that think, will in times of crisis,
make up stuff and attribute it to me" - "Nikla-nostra-debo"