"Dave Cross" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Add to that list:
>
> The UNIX Programming Environment - Kernigan & Pike
> The Practice of Programming - Kernigan & Pike
> Programming Perls - Jon Bentley
> Design Patterns - Erich Gamma, etc
> An Introduction to Database Systems - Chris Date

The "Unix programming environment" is a good book, but is probably a
little dated these days.  It's still worht reading for a grasp of why
shell scripts, when you should stop using shell scripts and the intro
to make/lex/yacc[1].  But on the whole, I don't think that it's as
relevant as their other titles.

-Dom

[1] Including everybodys favourite, the DIY virtual machine!

--
| Semantico: creators of major online resources          |
|       URL: http://www.semantico.com/                   |