From: Greg McCarroll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10/18/01 2:10:48 PM

>* Dave Cross ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>>
>> An Introduction to Database Systems - Chris Date
>
> I haven't heard of this one, my "classic" general DB
> books are Fundamentals of Database Systems and
> Introduction to SQL (van der Lans)

Don't know if it's generally considered a classic. It was the
standard textbook when I was at college. I think I had the first
edition that included SQL :)

>> Refactoring - Martin Fowler
>
>Oh, another I haven't head of, whats this like?

It's a hardback. In the same series as the UML book.

But if that's not what you mean, I think it's very good. A lot
of what it says is common sense, but it's nice to see it all
written down. The examples are all in Java. And as someone pointed
out, many of the refactorings listed don't apply to Perl.

Well worth a look.

> Ron will be pleased to hear I've put in another huge
> Amazon (boo hiss!) order ;-)

Let the record show that I, for one, am very disappointed with
Mr. McCarroll for continuing to use Amazon :)

Dave...

--
<http://www.dave.org.uk>

"Let me see you make decisions, without your television"
   - Depeche Mode (Stripped)