On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 12:10:24PM +0100, Greg McCarroll wrote:
> Assumption 1 : Penderel is a sick puppy, it has something wrong with
>              the mobo or memory or whatever.

If it's not software then I'm pretty sure it's the motherboard/CPU. The
memory is branded and consistent.

> If the above assumptions are true, I propose we strip Penderel of its
> scsi drive (9gb) and flog Penderel on ebay to some lucky punter. We

There are more filesystems than you might think,

$ df -H
/dev/sda6             3.7G  1.8G  1.7G  51% /
/dev/sda1             7.9M  6.7M  877k  89% /boot
/dev/sda7             510M   26M  457M   6% /oldhome
/dev/hda1              39G  5.7G   31G  16% /home
$

Quite honestly, I think you could be underestimating the hassle involved
with a reinstall and copy-over onto a different architecture. I dunno,
maybe you have done this a lot and know it back-to-front. I do i386
copies a lot and even with the same architecture it's not pleasant.
Just IME, YEMV.

My suggestion -- if you really want to use a "new" machine -- would be
to build a complete new machine, have both online simultaneously and
transition services piecemeal.

To be honest, for the cost of little more than a SCSI housing you could
buy an AMD+mobo (that would run rings around any sparc machine you could
get hold of, FWIW).

Anyway, do as you will...

Paul (who definitely would like to see a more maintainable OS running
there *psst* debian *psst* :-)

--
Paul Makepeace ....................................... http://paulm.com/

"What is a trouble avoided? Strawberry pie without the filipinos."

   -- http://paulm.com/toys/surrealism/