On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, Greg McCarroll wrote:

> [internal mounting]
> [offers of scsi bits and bobs]
> [ventilation]

We could sort all of those bits, if we pull out the existing smaller disk
and replace it with a single, larger one, using the cradle from the
existing one, and thus no ventilation problems (which may be an issie with
2 disks, as they're mounted one on top of the other, in a case just about
high enough to do so)

> [buying a new pee cee]
>
> a new PC may be close to no money, but not exactly no money, as
> opposed to this SS10 that is no money, bar the usual beer tax

I'm actually vaguely surprised that we can't between us come up with a
fairly nippy and nice peecee.  Just on my own, I could blag a case (1U, or
normal midi tower), a motherboard, a P3, small amounts of ram, floppy, cd,
some HD or another, network cards, etc, etc.  I'd be surprised if there
wasn't someone on here who could find some bigger dimms or a larger HD, or
more HDs.

> [solaris vs. debian]
>
> lets not do this debate at all, linux admin experience is in the most
> supply in this group, so lets just go with it and debian is the best
> distro for non-pee cee architectures (bar YD on macs)

I'll bow to your superior knowledge of linux on non-peecee thingies
though, though given that you only need a small amount of sysadmins, I'm
not convinced that there's much value in having more cooks waiting by the
kitchen doors.

> [ups + money]
>
> lets see if we find a mug^H^H^H person of excellent taste to buy the
> beast first and see how much cash we raise

Coincidentally, I might even be able to do a good deal on a recycled UPS
(subject to small donations to the cake fund)

the hatter