On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 04:45:36PM +0100, Michael Styer wrote:
>On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Roger Burton West wrote:
>> Something I've noticed on several DSL router/hub combination boxes is
>> that they're often even worse collision generators than normal hubs.
>Does that (i.e., decreased performance) apply a fortiori to DSL
>router/switch/firewall, or router/switch/wireless-access-point/firewall
>combination boxes?

I don't have enough data to say. I suspect that this is a side-effect of
the DSL box being built down to a price - cheap network hardware won't
be noticed by most users anyway, especially if they haven't had a hub
before (and if they had why would they want a built-in one?).

>even an old 286 or 386 is going to cost a few quid

Not necessarily.

)it looks like it
>might be cheaper, and certainly more convenient, just to buy one thing
>that does it all.

If you don't mind not knowing about the innards of it, and having to
wait for a manufacturer's bug-fix... it's the usual open-source vs
commercial software argument. Certainly my kit (Netgear 8-port switch,
P166 firewall running Linux, Fujitsu DSL router/hub supplied by BT 'cos
they didn't do wires-only in those days) is cheaper than a single-box
solution for the same capability would have been: but that capability
includes N:N and N:1 NAT (on different parts of the same network), 8
ports fully switched (I'm not counting the other internal network since
most of that was free kit), and so on.

Roger