On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 03:56:56PM +0100, Nicholas Clark wrote:

>So your advice for anyone contemplating ADSL would be an architecture
>something like
>

>              BT
>  DSL router/hub (such as Dlink)
>  Firewall box (eg cheap x86 running some sort of BSD or Linux)
>             Hub
>            / | \
>            Stuff

Yes, though I'd use a switch rather than a hub internally.

>If the firewall box has (or can be fitted with) several internal interfaces,
>is it a viable, cheap and secure system to also use it as a hub?

Hmm. Not really. A single 100Mbit NIC is, what, 15-20 quid these days? An
8-port 100Mbit switch is 60ish quid. Also, you'll probably need to use
crossover cables when going NIC<->NIC, which is a pain.

Where I do use multiple internal interfaces is for separate security
zones - public servers running behind my DSL connection can't see the
private network.

Roger