On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 03:50:04PM +0100, Roger Burton West wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 03:46:17PM +0100, Ben wrote:
>
> >The Dlink is a piece of piss to set up. Be aware, however, that it isn't
> >the best router in the world, and not everyone likes it. It's
> >perfectly adequate for my needs, however.
>
> Something I've noticed on several DSL router/hub combination boxes is
> that they're often even worse collision generators than normal hubs.
> Take a single drop off the DSL router, run it through your firewall and
> distribute it inside - works for me.

So your advice for anyone contemplating ADSL would be an architecture
something like

              BT

  DSL router/hub (such as Dlink)

  Firewall box (eg cheap x86 running some sort of BSD or Linux)

             Hub
            / | \
            Stuff

If the firewall box has (or can be fitted with) several internal interfaces,
is it a viable, cheap and secure system to also use it as a hub?

Nicholas Clark