On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, Paul Makepeace wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 04:38:12PM -0500, Chris Devers wrote:
> > On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, << everyone >> wrote:
> > > << PHP is crap >>
>
> I don't think PHP is crap.
>
> I am also amused and puzzled at the people writing huge tracts on why
> PHP is crap while not at the same time acknowledging there are vastly
> more websites written in PHP doing useful things for lots of people than
> there are in perl -- witness the scrabbling to find even remotely
> interesting success story cases for Perl (what recent ones have there
> been?). I suspect more revenue is generated from PHP sites than Perl
> sites. As a corollary, there are less (by some metric) experienced
> people writing more web software in PHP than in Perl. PHP gets you sooo
> much more with the same amount of effort than with perl. PHP is
> fundamentally quite easy, the learning curve astonishingly flat. Hardly
> the case for perl.

The learning curve to writing *bad* PHP is really flat. The learning curve
to writing good, secure, scalable PHP I would suggest is much steeper and
longer, because the language itself, and also the user community (and so
the support and resources available) is so geared to writing quick-hack
code. Just look at the user comments on the PHP manual.

I'm sure there are people writing good PHP out there - the Horde and IMP
stuff I was quite impressed with - but they are lost in the noise of
people arguing the PHP equivalents of 'use strict is gay' over and over.

> "Worse" is "better".

Indeed. Perhaps there's a lesson there - but I'll stick to my Lisp
Machine, thanks.

Chris.