On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Dave Wilson wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 09:06:43AM +0000, Lusercop wrote:
>
> > Though I thought that there had been more than just that one. A remote
> > arbitrary code execution vulnerability is considerably more dangerous
> > than a local privilege escalation, in general.
>
> As far as actual holes are concerned (and I'm rather drunk right now,
> yes, at this time of the morning), I think there have only been two (2)
> in PHP 4. PHP 3 is not PHP. It's shit. :)

I remember people saying this about W3.11 when W95 came out.
I remember people saying this about W95 when W98 came out.
I remember people saying this about W98 when WNT came out.

After that I lose track.

It's still kind of funny though, when people dis' a previous version.

Following this are just comments on the thread which the saner members of
the list are advised neither to read nor reply to.

S.

-- flamage below --

> > What this boils down to, is that
> > a) I don't believe that scalable and maintainable sites can be easily
> >    written in PHP
>
> I addressed this. It is because you suck, not the language. I thought
> people liked perl because of it's flexibility.
>
> And define scalability. mod_perl vs. mod_php are both equally as
> scaleable, ie. they rely on the Apache host. I could even argue PHP is
> more scaleable due its ability to run on top of shitloads of APIs. So,
> when your site breaks the 2 hits/sec threshold, and you need a scaleable
> web server and Apache is not it, a FastCGI or ISAPI-capable host might be.

I do try to stay out of the opinion ring but this, in my opinion, is a
steaming pile. Scaling mod_perl up to a few hundred hits a second isn't
hard. Scaling PHP to that isn't possible.

> If I were in charge of a production PHP environment (thanks to the N.
> Ireland I.T. industry, I'm not), it wouldn't be running facing the
> Internet directly. Then again, neither would mod_perl or any other large
> program with bits I hadn't explored.

Like the kernel, for example. *grin*

S.

--
Shevek
I am the Borg.

sub AUTOLOAD{my$i=$AUTOLOAD;my$x=shift;$i=~s/^.*://;print"$x\n";eval
qq{*$AUTOLOAD=sub{my\$x=shift;return unless \$x%$i;&{$x}(\$x);};};}

foreach my $i (3..65535) { &{'2'}($i); }