Paul> I am also amused and puzzled at the people writing huge tracts on why
Paul> PHP is crap while not at the same time acknowledging there are vastly
Paul> more websites written in PHP doing useful things for lots of people than
Paul> there are in perl -- witness the scrabbling to find even remotely
Paul> interesting success story cases for Perl (what recent ones have there
Paul> been?).

A lot of the ones at
<http://perl.apache.org/outstanding/success_stories/> seem recent.
And I suppose you haven't heard of match.com or citysearch.com or
ticketmaster.com before?  Oh wait, you're a brit. :)

Paul>  I suspect more revenue is generated from PHP sites than Perl
Paul> sites.

I don't.  I suspect PHP runs more hobby sites.  I suspect Perl does
more of the e-commerce heavy lifting and pretty-lifting.