On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 07:49:03PM -0800, Randal L. Schwartz said:
> I don't.  I suspect PHP runs more hobby sites.  I suspect Perl does
> more of the e-commerce heavy lifting and pretty-lifting.

Christ. I said I wasn't going to get pulled into this.

FWIW, according to the latest SecuritySpace survey
(http://www.securityspace.com/s_survey/data/man.200209/apachemods.html)
the number of mod_perl and mod_php installations is comparable (I've
taken to ignore the percentage changes because, a couple of months ago,
Perl was growing by 25% a month whilst PHP was decreasing by 12%)/

This of course doesn't count the number of places running Perl scripts
as plain CGIs.

As for the Yahoo! thing - I can only tell you so much but, as mentioned
in the report, we have *lots* of Perl code and our publishing system is
written almost entirely in Perl.

Currently we use 3 different templating languages - all proprietary -
some dating back almost from the days Yahoo! started. I have had a long
discussion with the other engineers and pointed out TT (which I thought
would have been a better match since we're slinging Perl objects from
the publishing system) and they we suitably impressed and may steal some
ideas.

>From what I can tell the reason for switching to PHP is (a) politics and
(b) all our current code is mixed code and presentation because, as I
mentioned, some of it dates back from days of yore. Converting to PHP is
a lot easier than converting to, say, TT.

I think, anyway. People are a bit cagey about the whole thing.

--
                       an atmosphere of PhD student
  with a touch of alternative elitist radical