At 05/11/2002 01:20 [], David Cantrell wrote:
On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 01:38:49PM +0000, Shevek wrote:

> I do try to stay out of the opinion ring but this, in my opinion, is a
> steaming pile. Scaling mod_perl up to a few hundred hits a second isn't
> hard.

Scaling perl CGIs up to a few hundred a second is merely hard, but not
impossible.
Perhaps heretically, I disagree. Until perl can be used (transparent of web server api engines, which don't do a fantastic job anyway) in such a way that multiple concurrent hits doesn't involve an equal number of concurrent running perl instances, cgi perl will not (subject to reasonable hardware constraints) be much use for 100s of instances.

Just my $0.02, this isn't intended as a flame.

/rataxis

--
S. Joel Bernstein :: joel at fysh dot org :: t: 020 8458 2323
"Nobody is going to claim that Perl 6's OO is "bolted on". Well, except