Ben wrote:
> Could I also suggest a high resort, to avoid problems with lack of snow

I can highly recommend Les Trois Vallees (Meribel, Courcheval, etc).

> The only drawbacks are that it's a 3hr train, then a 1 hr bus

I can also highly recommend going via Eurostar.  I forget how long it
is, something like 8 hours, but then it's only a 20-30 minute minibus
ride the other end.

You walk straight on/off the train.  No pissing around in custom, baggage
claim, etc., something that is always gnarly when lugging boards/skis
around.  No long check-in times, no long coach journeys.  You can drive
down to Ashford and catch the train there if you prefer it to Waterloo.

I reckon that all-in-all it takes about the same time going by train as
it does flying.  But with the train you get to spend most of that time
sitting in a comfy seat.

If you go on the overnight train then you get to party it up all night,
too.  You can also get an extra day's skiing in at the end by coming
home overnight instead of spending your "last" day travelling.