From: Christian Hopps <cho...@chopps.org>

Sent: Saturday, October 8, 2022 2:48 PM

To: Les Ginsberg (ginsberg) <ginsb...@cisco.com>

Cc: Christian Hopps <cho...@chopps.org>; Tony Li <tony...@tony.li>;
Peter

Psenak (ppsenak) <ppse...@cisco.com>; Robert Raszuk

<rob...@raszuk.net>; Henk Smit <henk.i...@xs4all.nl>; lsr@ietf.org

Subject: Re: [Lsr] New Version Notification for
draft-pkaneria-lsr-multi-tlv-

01.txt

I simply turned your question around and asked: should conforming

implementations be penalized?

[LES:] Are you claiming that the absence of an explicit statement
regarding support of MP for a given TLV  is equivalent to a
prohibition against sending them (which fails basic logic)?

Why did we explicitly define multi-part TLVs?

I agree we appear to not making any progress here. Perhaps it would be more
productive to have a discussion in a different forum like an interim or
something similar.

Thanks,
Chris.
[as wg-chair]

If not, I do not understand what it is that you think implementations
which are NOT supporting MP for a given TLV are conforming to.

I can't imagine why you are explaining IS-IS TLVs to me, and I have
never

advocated for nor even mentioned changing the encoding of TLVs so I
don't

know what you're talking about with the rest of it. I found this
very

distracting.

[LES:] A couple of quotes from previous emails you have sent:

<snip>

... I think a stronger case might be made for actually having the
router capability be used *operationally* (i.e., if you don't see the
capability advertised then that router in fact doesn't send multi-tlv
tlvs and they should be seen as replacements of each other)...

<end snip>

This proposes making it illegal to send MP-TLVs unless a capability
is advertised network-wide.

<snip>

If things would have been done correctly (i.e., documented) we also
would have had the option to add a sub-tlv to the TLVs in question
that indicated they were part of a set rather than replacements.

<end snip>

This proposes adding a sub-TLV into existing TLVs to indicate they
are part of a set of MP-TLVs.

??

   Les

Chris.

[as wg-member]

"Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsb...@cisco.com> writes:

> Chris -

> There are two different topics under discussion - one has to do
with TLV

encoding - the other has to do with partial deployment issues. We
need to

be careful that we keep the two distinct.

> TLVs necessarily have to unambiguously define the object followed
by

attributes of that object.

> If multiple TLVs are required to advertise all the attributes of
an object, the

encoding requirements are the same: unambiguously define the object
in

each TLV and then include attributes.

> IS-IS advertisements have never had any "ordering' requirements
i.e.,

attributes can be advertised in any order within a given TLV and it
makes no

difference whether a TLV is advertised in LSP#2 or LSP#200.

> This means that when MP is used, there is no notion as to whether
a TLV is

the first in a set or the last in a set - they are simply
complementary.

> When I say that implementations which have added support for
MP-TLVs

for

> neighbor/prefix advertisement have done the "right thing" I am
simply

saying

> they are using base protocol encoding rules as discussed above.

> There is another discussion that has to do with partial
deployment issues

and

> legitimate concerns about how a network might behave when not all

routers

> support MP for a given TLV. But altering TLV encoding to address
that issue

does

> not solve a problem - it simply creates a new one.

> Further, introducing a new rule that prohibits advertisement of
existing

TLVs

> unless some yet to be defined feature support advertisement is
present

> network-wide also does not solve a problem - it introduces a new
one.

> Whether advertising features supported is useful and how it
should be

done is a discussion that should continue - but it MUST NOT alter
the format

of TLVs or the rules as to when TLVs can be advertised.

cho...@chopps.org>;

Peter

>> Psenak (ppsenak) <ppse...@cisco.com>; Robert Raszuk

>> <rob...@raszuk.net>; Henk Smit <henk.i...@xs4all.nl>;
lsr@ietf.org

>> Subject: Re: [Lsr] New Version Notification for
draft-pkaneria-lsr-multi-tlv-

>> 01.txt

>> "Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsb...@cisco.com> writes:

>> > Tony -

indicates that a

node

>> is

>> > [LES:] That is what you are proposing - but others in the
thread have

>> proposed other ideas. For example, in an earlier post Chris
stated:

for

actually

if you don't

>> see the

multi-tlv

tlvs

>> and

>> > What I am trying to highlight is that the existing
implementations of MP-

>> TLVs

>> > for the "implicit" cases should not be penalized for sending
MP-TLVs

that

>> are

>> > encoded consistent with how MP-TLVs for the "explicit" cases
have

been

>> done.

>> > They are actually doing the right thing.

>> And I disagree with the word "right" here. They are doing the

advantageous

>> thing as long as one has the correct routers and software that
allows you

>> advertise more than fits in a single TLV. It certainly won't be
the "right"

thing

>> if a standards conforming implementation out there doesn't
expect or

deal

>> with one of these multi-part "implicit MP-TLV" advertisements.

>> Are you saying implementations that only handle a single-part
TLV are

non-

>> conforming? To turn your question around, why should they be

penalized?