[as wg-member]

Hi Les,

I want to highlight a particular thing your saying below b/c I'm worried I
don't understand it.

That does not mean, however, that we need to alter the encoding of
existing TLVs to support MP.

I could be mistaken here, but I don't think altering the TLVs is a solution
that is on the table, or that anyone is supporting that idea. Is there a
particular proposal you're worried about?

AFAICT what *has* been discussed is using a capability bit to somehow manage
the unfortunate situation created by vendor[s] shipping software that does
things which are incompatible with the deployed software that follows published
standards.

Thanks,
Chris.

"Les Ginsberg (ginsberg)" <ginsb...@cisco.com> writes:

Bruno -

I think people have posted to this thread with different intentions.

Everyone agrees (I think...) that when MP-TLVs are sent for a given
TLV and not all routers in the network support MP for that TLV that
bad things will happen.

My posts have been to emphasize that the method of encoding MP-TLVs
requires no protocol extensions. This in no way conflicts with the
previous sentence.

Please see inline.