Jim wrote:
> David,
> I met with John Terpstra, and he said he wants to help with the
> 'Internationalization' of LTSP.  We didn't really get into the
> details of it.
>
> I think as far as documentation, we can proceed with it, then
> see how he wants to help us with it.
Sounds like a plan.

What does the group think we need to 'internationalize' in LTSP?
My draft list would include docs, comments in config files, and
program output (ltsp binaries).

1. Translating the docs doesn't require much planning, just
doing.  There are still a few decisions we need to make.  For
example, will we make one tar/RPM per language, or is there a
better way?

2. The config file comments ought to be translated, too.  Any
suggestions on this?  Do we include them in the doc translation
RPM, or do we need to make a separate lts_core, lts_x_core, and
so on for each language?

3. Most distributions (RedHat, Suse, et al) internationalize all
of their programs.  This doesn't  help us with the binaries in
/opt/ltsp.  A quick example, run on the server:

   # Note: /Test and /Foo do not exist
   $ /bin/mv /Test /Foo
   mv: cannot stat `/Test': No such file or directory
   $ export LANG=es_ES
   $ /bin/mv /Test /Foo
   mv: cannot stat `/Test': No existe el fichero o el directorio
   $ /opt/ltsp/i386/bin/mv /Test /Foo
   mv: unable to rename `/Test': No such file or directory

I see two things worth noting here: 1, either I've goofed
somewhere (entirely likely), or even RedHat missed part of their
i18n work (see the second mv, where part of the output is in
English and part is in Spanish).  2, the source that Jim is using
to build the /ltsp/i386 binaries isn't internationalized.  This
is were John Terpstra's experience will help us; I expect this
will be easy to fix.

-David