Jon,

I am in the same situation as you: A Linux newbie researching a Windows to
Linux migration.  The other guys could probably give you more details on the
windows programs you use, but for your Microsoft Office usage (Word, Excel,
etc.) check out OpenOffice:

www.openoffice.org

Click, downloads, and stable when you get there.  You will find this amazing
office suite (which is compatible with Microsoft Office documents by the
way) available for Linux AND Windows!  In addition to that, it's completely
free!

This is just the beginning.  There are many more resources out there to
guide and help you...  Just don't give up!

Tommy