There are actually already quite a few programs/modifications to X that
deal with this issue.  First one that I can think of is lbxproxy (stands
for 'low bandwidth X proxy').  This is fairly trivial to setup (once you
know how X is working).  There are other tricks that you can do as well,
like tunneling apps across SSH and using compression to increase
performance (although you may end up with somewhat of a performance
tradeoff because of the extra work for encryption).  And finally, one
solution that I have not worked with (yet) is called DXPC (Differential
X Protocol Compressor).  I believe it uses Xnest on both ends to cache
local copies of X messages among other things and so speeds up the link
dramatically and also only sends those messages that are absolutely
necessary to be sent, etc and compresses them if possible.  There is
also a Java version of DXPC, although I'm not sure what kind of
performance you would attain using the Java version.

Hope that gives you some helpful starting points.

--
Jason A. Pattie
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

believed to be clean.