I came to ltsp from a citrix/windows terminal server setup.  With ssh, vnc,
the citrix ICA client for linux and some creativity we have a much more
reliable and certainly more cost effective system.

You might want to install a small ltsp server at each remote office to get
the desktops booted up.  Then run your apps with vnc or "x over ssh".

-Jeff