Hi,
as said before there is NO perfect partiotion sheme for everybody. If you
want to be on the save side make /boot about 50 mb, swap 256 mb, 512 mb or
even higher (depends completely on YOUR ram and software setup) and rest
/root. In general: if you want to have more partitions you have to read docs
to check which makes sense for YOU AND EXPERIMENT. It took me quite some
installs to find out how much to allocate for partitions like /, /usr, /var
and so on.
Generaly it is advisable to put as many partitions as possible for easier
administration and better performance.
There is a doc. It's called something like "how to secure and optimize a
linux redhat server". You'll find it somewhere on www.linuxdoc.org or search
on google. It gives some pointers and facts regarding partitoning.

> Choose ext3 for all of the partitions (except swap, of course), and it's a
> good idea to check the box that says, "Check for bad blocks during format."

DID YOU KNOW THAT REDHAT (at least 7.2) DOESN'T EVEN COMPLAIN IF IT FINDS
BADBLOCKS?!
You have to go to console F5 and watch the check all the time - as you
sometimes can't even scroll back up again to review the check again if you
had several partitions. This is really, really shitty. They have to find a
way to print out an error messages on F1 and ask the user to interact! As you
said the partitoning job is really done bad.

regards,

Tom(my)___