Il giorno Wed, 24 Jul 2002, [EMAIL PROTECTED] cosė ha scritto:

|From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
|To: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]"
|    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
|Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 09:24:44 +0530
|Subject: Re: [Ltsp-discuss] Partition arrange for hard drive
|
|Generaly it is advisable to put as many partitions as possible for easier
|administration and better performance.

  Well, I don't want to start the n-th partitioning schede flame war, but
having several partitions actually degrades the hard drive's performance.
Having data collected in different partitions causes files residing in
different directories, belonging to different partitions, to be found on
cylinders that are farther apart on the hard disk than they would be is the
directories where to be found on the same partition.  This increases the
cylinder seek time when reading these files in succession.  The pro in having
several partitions on the same hard disk is that the administrator has a
larger choice in configuring the system, he can choose to make some partitions
read-only, others read-write and so forth.  And you can reinstall the system,
change the distribution, recover from a severe crash reformatting only some of
the partitions while saving some others (like the partition where the /home
directory is found, or where the /backup or /archive directories are found).
So, I suggest to reserve one or two partitions for /home and for /archive or
/backup os /usr/backup, as you wish, and then the rest could be mounted on a
single partition on /, or you could have a separate partition for /usr and/or
/opt, where large pieces of software are going to be installed that are not
critical to the system.  And, of course, you should have the /boot and swap
partitions.

  Having separate partitions for /tmp and /var is seldom necessary and can
usually bring about unnecessary complications.  On a small, 1,2 Gb hard disk I
have, a small /tmp partition, 64 Mb, that was never used over 3-4%, I had to
resize when I tryed installing StarOffice, that puts over 100 Mb of temporary
files over there.  The size of /var depends very much on what software you're
going to use, if you're going to run NNTP or HTTP servers serving many
newsgroups, virtual domains etc., it can gobble up several Gb, otherwise it
will rarely use more than 10 Mb (FreeBSD used to create a 20 Mb "slice" for
/var by default, even on 2 Gb disks, if I remember correctly).  In your case I
think you can partition as much as you want, anyway, since your hard disk is
so large (40 Gb).  But remember that the more partitions you're going to have,
the higher the average cylinder seek time is going to be and, consequently,
the lower the performance of your hard disk is going to be.

  Sandro

--
Bellum se ipsum alet
       La guerra nutre se stessa