I sure wouldn't put /etc on a separate partition.  The
problem is that the fstab file is in /etc, so the system
isn't going to know how to mount the filesystems, because
it can't get at /etc/fstab until /etc is mounted, and /etc
won't get mounted until it can read /etc.

Also, the /etc/inittab file is the first thing that init
needs.

Other than that, there is no "right" way to do this.

Pick a reasonable partitioning scheme and give it a shot.
Learn from your successes and mistakes and move on.

Jim McQuillan
[EMAIL PROTECTED]