CyberOrg skrev:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 2:06 AM, Verner Kjærsgaard <v...@os-academy.dk> wrote:
>> - I believe I've been through the Toubleshooting section, but I still
>> get these (and only these) machines to refuse to boot. Other (all kinds
>> of) hardware and VM's boot just fine.
>>
> In that case your LTSP setup is fine, give the details of the hardware
> that do not boot.
>
> CPU:
> RAM:
> Network card module it needs:
>
>> - my HP/Compaq machines boot 4.2 just fine. They also start their
>> KIWI(5)life fine with the lemon green screen coming up and counting
>> down. The initrd load fine with the dots running across the screen. It's
>> only when this section is over, that I get the halt - and always at
>> exactly the same spot. Even though I enable the LDM_DEBUG feature, I
>> cannot (of course) do anything with CTRL+F1 as the kernel is in a panic
>> state with flashing leds.
>>
> Select "debug" from the boot menu. That will give you terminal if the
> boot fails. Get pictures of ctrl+alt+f2/f3/f4.
>
> Cheers
>
> -J

Dear Sir and list :-)

- the CPU is an INTEL Pentium 4
- 3Ghz
- 1Gbyte RAM
- HP D530 SFF (PB607A)

Now it cathes the KIWI/LTSP server just fine and gets to the lime-green
startup screen which among others lets you select 'debug'
It start loading, showing lots of dots and finally 'ready'
It then goes into the actual loading of the initrd. This is where it
breaks with the flashing LEDs on the keyboard - hence I cannot use
ctrl+alt+f2/f3/f4 for anything.

The kernel is paniced and dead.

On the screen it starts going wrong at

md: Autorun
md: ... autorun DONE.
VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(3.1)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
partitions:
DEBUG_BLOCK_EXT_DEVT is enabled, you need to specify explicit textual
name for "root=" boot option.
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(3,1)

I'm quite confident that the culprit is in the network card which is
exactly a ID:14E4/1696 which according to various sources is a Broadcom
NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet BCM5781 netcard.

I seem to recall that one could give certain options in the dhcpd.conf
file - perhaps with respect to frame sizes or something - that used to
be able to fix problems like this.

Further...I placed a standard PCI netcard (8139) type into the machine,
disabled the onboard NIC and tried to pursuade the stupid HP box to boot
(at least try...) from the new NIC. No...I can disable the onboard NIC,
but not in any manner/way whatsoever persuade HP to let the foreign
alien NIC try a PXE boot. Of which it is perfectly capable of in other,
not so stupid mashines. I hate HP :-)

- again, thank you for any help!