CyberOrg skrev:
> On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Verner Kjærsgaard <v...@os-academy.dk> wrote:
>>
>> CyberOrg skrev:

>>> What kernel module does the network card require? To find that out you
>>> can probably boot live CD/DVD/USB, do hwinfo --network.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> -J
>> ...hold on a sec, I'm Live booting Ubuntu 9.10...
>> - this is the output
>>

>>  Driver Modules: "tg3"
>
> tg3 is included in the initrd.
>
> Get pictures of ctrl+alt+fX, switch to another tty before kernel panic
> to take picture.
>
> Other thing I can suggest is boot server from Li-f-e DVD/USB[1],
> configure LTSP following Quick_Start[2] guide, change SUSE_VERSION in
> /etc/sysconfig/kiwi-ltsp if it is not correct, connect the client
> directly to the server to test. Test different hardwares available
> before testing broken ones to make sure ltsp is configured properly.
>
> Goodluck.
>
> -J
>
> [1] http://en.opensuse.org/Education/Live
> [2] http://en.opensuse.org/LTSP/Quick_start

Hi J and list,

-  this is a status report of what happened...

- when I got back to the setup, I fired up the HP client while I quickly
hampered away with ctrl+alt+f1 and so on the keyboard of the client.
- IT BOOTED!!!

Wauv...I don't know what happened other than during the string of dots,
I typed like a madman. It didn't react to my typing, but it booted fine.
I then logged in,- again just fine.
I then had a working client with Youtube sound and all. Absolute perfect.

Shut down the client.

Fire up client. Kernel panic,  just like it's been for the last 7 days.
And still is. No matter what I do, type, cry out, shake or swear. Kernel
panic it is. Same as before.

I tried EVERYTHING for some 4 hours...and then I gave up.

Downloaded LI-F-E, burned the iso and installed it.
Apart from not understanding their use of br0 instead of eth0 (? why on
earth...), it was easy.

I fire up the server, IT BOOTS MY HP CLIENTS just fine.

And then it won't let me log in. It verifies my name/pw for like 30
seconds, then it gives up with a 'cannot contact server' and so.
Nothing in logs, no firewall hindering me, nothing.

Also I tried to enable 'remote access to X' on the server in order to
let (on my laptop) me do a 'X :1 -query <IP-OF-SERVER>' and so. I've
done that a thousand times on a thousand servers, only on this one, it
doesn't allow me or whatever. Nothing in /var/log/messages.

I'm now subscribing to the 'opensuse-edu' list and have taken the
liberty to report my grief there.

Alas I'm running out of time here, tomorrow (monday here) the school
will revert to XP on the boxes, exams are coming up. Well we can't win
then all.

Anyhow, just wanted to leave a report. And thank you and the other kind
people here for all their time and help!

--
Med venlig hilsen/Best regards